Wednesday 20 April 2011

Does one comment a racist make?

So does one comment a racist a make? I tend to think it does but is that too judgemental?

Years ago I was talking to an acquaintance and they misunderstood a comment I made and thought I was saying I was bi sexual. Their reaction was to flinch and move away. So despite having known me six years they made an instant judgement based on one comment.

So fast forward to yesterday and a racist comment on a forum, at first I didn't 'get' the comment as it wasn't in my vocabulary and given the author is I believe a teacher I assumed I was wrong.

However moments later you realise there is only one way the comment can be taken and that it does mean what you think it does.

Somehow and not logically writing out the comment seems to increase the depth of the racism as generally as you type you have time to consider and yet they could see nothing wrong in what they type.

But in my passing such instant judgement the same as the person who passed instant judgement me?

I'd like to think it isn't because someone who isn't racist doesn't make racist comments. Being a racist is in my opinion like being pregnant you're either pregnant or not, there is no 'little bit pregnant' just like there is no 'little bit racist'

And whilst I'm on my soap box, a local star football player was recently before the magistrates for assaulting a bus driver when drunk and making racist comments. The footballer said in the local rag article that he had friends that were black, as if that somehow absolved him of any possibility of actually being a racist. I would have said no you're not an overt racist but clearly you are a covert racist as otherwise it wouldn't even occur to you to make those remarks.

No comments:

Post a Comment