Monday 7 March 2011

Change - the only simple change is one you ride on a horse!

Was pondering the nature of change this morning and how you really need a motivator or driver to change.

For months I have been saying I will waste/spend less time on Saddle Up and do I no! Why not? Well because the cost of not changing isn't punitive enough or the benefit of changing isn't great enough.

Today I was riding and Clare asked me to collect the canter and lighten the right hand, I had to fess up I didn't want to, clearly Clare isn't going to make me' but I also reasoned that unless I can collect the canter and lighten the right hand then my goal of Elementary in June is a dead duck. So I rode it and did it and for why? Well because the benefit of changing was great enough.

Pretty much the same with a lot of changes I've made recently.

The above has given me insight into why I didn't make what appeared to be blindingly obvious necessary changes, there wasn't enough benefit to changing and the punitive cost of not changing wasn't high enough. Once one of those became true I made the change.



1 comment: