Friday 11 February 2011

There is no failure only feedback

Is something I was pondering whilst mucking out this morning, initially I thought no this is wrong there can be failure, such as not winning a race.

However not winning a race is not failure, it is failing to win which is not the same as failing.

Today's lesson was to be back in spurs choosing to ride in the metal roller balls as quite 'soft'.

So into school and get on, hadn't ridden since 4th Feb due to IBS/work felt surprisingly confident.

Chorrie more forwards even before using spurs, slight reservations over this as could be he feels pressured with my wearing spurs or that wearing spurs I get on with a more 'we can do this' attitude. Given he doesn't appear bothered am hoping it is latter and not former.

Canter is better with spurs on BUT, and it is a big BUT I have reverted to my habitual pattern of kicking every stride and tight right rein. So is the pattern triggered by the spurs or by how C feels either way it is not acceptable.

Did some simple changes (canter -> walk -> canter) whilst riding a serpentine. If I concentrate on giving my inside hand I get a better loop and a better change. First time through my brain was in a spin, second time through felt better.

Take home positives are I sit straighter than when Clare first saw me AND I can react faster so fewer steps of walk.

Looked at tackling right rein it is much better in canter but trot not so much. Counter bend then to true bend if right rein tightens back to counter bend. I need to be stretched down right side and give attention to right rein and how it is feeling.

Homework is to work on simple changes and trot with soft right rein, also need to focus on my legs.

The standout for me was the fact I felt I rode better but the empirical evidence (tight right rein and flailing legs) suggests otherwise. Really odd so are spurs a confidence support for me and that is why I felt I rode better or are the confidence high despite not riding for a week and spurs unrelated?

However the flailing legs has to be addressed and I must own the problem, all very well talking the talk, I have to walk the walk.

Whilst getting off C and being appreciative of him is good it does not excuse poor equitation whilst on board.

"Love is more than three words mumbled before bedtime. Love is sustained by action, a pattern of devotion in the things we do for each other every day." - Nicholas Sparks

So saying I love him isn't enough I need to act and own the flailing legs, saying I'm not aware is no excuse. I've been told (more than once) I need to give it the awareness it needs.

So that maybe what I ask Clare to focus on come Monday get my awareness into my legs.

No comments:

Post a Comment