Saturday 7 June 2014

Tom Graham


Lesson with Tom on Saturday forecast was set to heavy rain, I was on first at 08:30 woke up to a dry morning which was very unexpected, we didn't get the rain until 10:00 when it chucked it down flash flooding road  closures the whole shebang. Was very pleased I'd elected to go first :-)

Tom asked how week had been said I wanted to look at contact in walk as it was deteriorating now I was attempting to keep fingers closed on left rein. Had tried to resolve with more impulsion, counter flexion, transitions, leg yield . 

Tom had me doing counter flexion AND move the shoulders in on a circle then politely straighten  if he started to fall onto left shoulder then counter flexion move shoulders politely straighten. Rinse and repeat.

Made a huge difference, I like the idea of politely straighten , it isn't punishment so don't swing horse back to inside flexion do it politely !

Tom also improved the leg yield I was not using my outside rein enough (correctly)

Tom did say I had become rather Pony Club, legs to go, hands to whoa 

Interestingly enough in leg yield Tom suggested I use the whip to "irritate" the left hind into more activity had always assumed it would always be right hind in need of activation

Had some fabulous trot again Tom has a way of opening Chorrie up and freeing him off and then we fly 

Again I need a different attitude need to be " we can do this" and ride with that conviction

Will be interesting to see if a month of this improves the tightness in his left side at his next physio appointment . 

I like the way Tom operates, it isn't twack the bugger with the whip, there is understanding that as I change how I ride ( left hand) Chorrie will need time to adjust and we need to work him through it.

Slightly scary how Chorrie and I collude in our less desirable habits,   Need to stay away from the arena sides as we both like to hug them a little too much


No comments:

Post a Comment