Friday 6 June 2014

Balanced Rider individual assesement

So today I went back to Quob stables for an individual assessment.

Yesterday saddler was out to check fit and noticed in walk my hips don't move evenly left and right ( SFO has mentioned this too in the past ) I am also collapsed right ( as ever)

Started off with medical history then a biomechanical assesement

Kim is of the opinion that my un level pelvis is due to my abductors being shortened and until I loosen and lengthen them my pelvis will keep returning to unlevel no matter how many treatments I have.

My collapsed right side can be see off the horse which is good news as it means it can with time be corrected.

Spent time on the flexi chair which was enlightening as it made it clear how little movement I have towards the right with my pelvis. You sit on this saddle seat chair and have to move a dot on a screen within a define pattern, it sounded so simple but really shows up where you are stuck.

So have come away with a slew of exercises to do, but the most important thing to concentrate on is loosening my abductors. So we can restore equality of movement to the pelvis. Kim is of opinion most of my issues probably stem from my unlevel pelvis.

Some of the exercises seem very Feldencrais in origin in that there is no end gaining and it isn't about how " well" or how far . 

Need at least three weeks to work on my exercises then I go back for reassessment 

Also very interesting that a lot of what SFO has commented on such as not being able to move a leg without upper body joining in Kim picked up on.

It was a very intensive session mentally but I am very hopeful that this may be the piece of the jigsaw I have been looking for

The only downside is that I have to fix myself by doing a LOT of homework it isn't a case of come to Kim for three sessions and walk out fixed. So now will be a test of just how motivated am I really?




1 comment:

  1. Sounds really interesting. I had loads of lower back ache in the winter. By Feb/march I couldn't sleep some nights. Started doing hip flexor exercises and found it improved but also lateral work got way easier and D commented the other day I'm not walking so wonky. I wonder if there's a Kim equivalent up here?

    ReplyDelete