Sunday 17 June 2012

Progress

Lesson one Blackberry

Started off working on weighting left and right seat bones with pom poms and also added turning shoulders.

Then onto position left and right and  lightening left seat bone when in position left and similarly with position right.

SFO showed me how to have long arms but retain an 'elbow' also how shoulders stay deep and elbows and shoulders keep moving.


*THUD* SFO pleased with my improved rein contact, am barely collapsing right, shoulders were down was wondering when I'd wake up and reality (collapsed right and crap contact) would be restored? 

Lesson one Pooh

Work on right hand to Pooh's right bum/left shoulder, swap hands and then repeat on other rein.

Did rising trot and emphasizing left then right side by in sitting phase sitting more left and right; just doing this makes me more symmetrical.

Quasimodo is not the only correction, it is mostly for the left rein, on the right rein need to stretch right pillar, may also need when turning on right rein to have right side 'forward'

If it isn't working don't do more of what isn't working do something different, need to learn to experiment

Horse will follow bulk body weight, so can do leg yield just by use of body weight. Did loops in canter just using weight aids, was actually bloody impressed I could do this and if you think this is easy try it ;~} if you can't do a loop in canter on weight aids alone what does that reveal? Basically that you don't need the reins to stay in counter canter.

SFO did point out that six months ago this would have been beyond me and how I'd progressed and how she liked to keep pushing her pupils. Whilst I do have the odd whinge as it can be frustrating that as soon as you've cracked 'C' SFO is looking to crack 'D'; I wouldn't be driving for just over two hours if SFO wasn't constantly looking to progress me.

Need to stop being afraid of the rein, sometimes you just need to use the rein.

Supper was a hoot, drank a lovely NZ Sauvignon blanc and put the world to rights, haven't drunk wine since my last Arrow weekend due to MFP; ate my body weight in SFO home made chocolate mousse.
Lesson two Blackberry

SFO and I were talking about how it was interesting that I used to be collapsed left (really collapsed left and sat ass off saddle to right)  and now I tend to collapse right but nothing like as bad as my left used to be. Am hoping it is a pendulum and that the arc of swing lessens with each swing and this time next year I'll be basically straight.

Need to have open armpits think of being able to have space for an orange - preferably a chocolate orange! Also body moves through arms.

Did bicycling with legs which helped leg muscles 'let go'

Also did transitions looking back I think if I could nail 3 -> 2 it would help a lot with having Pooh on the aids.

Lesson two Pooh

Started off on long rein with no stirrups, six months ago that wouldn't have happened, and bicycling with legs as had been doing on Blackberry.

More work on right hand to Pooh's right bum/left shoulder, swap hands and then repeat on other rein.

Lots of serpentines/loops in trot need to remember, when turning left Quasimodo; when turning right then stretch right side.

SFO did say about how she  now has to think which side is my collapsed side as I have straightened up a lot :-)

Was then another *THUD* moment when SFO asked how would I put a horse on the aids,  I could  tell her, show her or ask her. So explained how I do it with Chorrie which I suspected had holes in it. 

So basically I determine rein length and then ask C to work within that rein length with an active leg and it happens well that is all I do at a conscious level.

So basically on Pooh in halt determine rein length and keep hand passive, active leg you should feel him step under as he goes to move off soft allowing hand can hold/resist if needed with shoulders/upper arm.

Fail on having soft allowing hand rather than throwing contact at him,  too conscious of not pulling to be effective. :-( but with perseverance and lots and lots of SFO encouragement to the point of being on the floor and walking alongside us, I got it and then wow.

Just wow




No comments:

Post a Comment