Saturday 7 January 2012

Rising canter

Blackberry

Usual start legs over front, back looking flatter, able to put legs down and stay on seat, so all good progress.

Some contact awareness from 2 -> 1 did pretty well and rein contact noticeably improved.

Onto rising canter WTF? could not feel the rhythm, could barely rise well enough to earn a 'good' found it seriously difficult.

Pooh

Started with on the buckle, which looks easy but to actually do well is bloody challenging! That said three lessons ago I was just pleased to be on the buckle and not worrying. So again progress.

On lunge to look at rising trot, found it easier on Pooh than Blackberry, back staying in one piece but elbows need more work. Need to think point on the rise, sit back on the potty (!) and soften hands.

Also need to stretch right side especially on left rein and stay down right leg. I adore Pooh but because we have similar contracted sides he is a challenge for me to ride well as he needs my right side to be stretched and for me to be down my right leg and I find that a challenge. One that I must rise to but a challenge.

The trot felt today as if it had more energy and he was certainly flowing around the school much better. SFO did think I had improved my rising trot.

So onto canter, I now either get a good strike off with some jump into canter or no canter at all. Canter today I was more able to maintain without collapsing body. Pooh will go down a gear if he feels me unbalance so the challenge is to stay balanced above him so he can stay balanced underneath me.

General Musings

Herbermann said of a pupil I cannot change her hands until I can change her attitude. Her hands are a result of her being nervous, so don't focus on the hands.

No comments:

Post a Comment