Friday 20 May 2011

Lesson 1 - 20th May 2011

So background, my beloved Chorrie is off games for at least six months, so cheekily asked Gill if I could ride Soly in lessons with Clare and she said yes. I was and am blown away by her kindness.

So went down and got the black beauty in (Soly is a black Welsh Sec D) who looked at me with WTF are you doing in my field with my headcollar :-)

Groomed him, picked out feet, brushed out tail slightly sad to see the silver glitter of yesterday had faded away went and got his bridle and saddle. Put saddle on (Soly not me!) and thought duck no way will my fat a$$ fit in that! Had a horrible vision of trying to get all of my a$$ in the saddle and was convinced as we rose to the trot there'd be a loud pop as my bum made a bid for freedom.

My cunning plan was that Clare would hop on and suss him out for me, but sadly no as part of my education I was to be up first.

So got on and my bum fitted and there was room so either

1/ seat is roomier than it looks

or

2/ my bum is not big

sadly I think it is 1/ :-D

So walked Soly around the arena and he felt tense and from his ears confused. Slowly we both relaxed, tested the go and slow buttons, then put him some halts. I was struck by how much softer and thus nicer in the contact he is compared to Chorrie. Was less pleased to hear that whilst my mutant right hand wasn't holding; the mutantness had schlepped across to my left hand.

Put in some halts, initially progressive, then sharper but without engagement behind, then with some engagement behind.

Leg yield on left rein harder for me to ride than on right.

Trot - if tension in neck you will feel it behind, needs a soft neck to be able to go forwards.

Collecting trot initially led to walk transition, need to watch/feel where he puts himself on the circle and if he is falling in/out.

Need to watch left hand no backward traction.

Really pleased at first session, impressed particularly that I had the confidence to get on a horse that is not mine especially as I haven't ridden for three weeks. Last time I rode a horse that wasn't mine was back in June 2006.

Great start :-)







No comments:

Post a Comment