Saturday 10 May 2014

Tom Graham @ Duttons 10th May Lesson 2

Disclaimers Turn on forehand and pirouettes are descriptive labels for me, not the classic movements you might expect to see.

Why we are doing what we are doing TOF is to improve bend, piri to engage outside hind, aim of both is to supple Chorrie as that is the huge factor in the lack of forwardness.

Take homes (my words not Tom's) I need to pay attention to detail so it is a good thing I now have brain space to notice rein back is not straight (first time was just glad I could quicken it) so notice it and correct it, not just mention it and carry on. Bit like the transition to trot , if the contact isn't good then the transition is unlikely to be too. So set him up so he can do his best.

I need a more positive attitude if I ask for trot then I must expect trot with every fibre of my being not be half assed about it. Insist and persist and be consistent.

Don't chase him forwards, supple him and help him by setting him up and swing in the trot so he too can swing in the trot

Could do the giravolta in hand before mounting

Lesson

So started off by showing Tom our much improved halts, need to watch he doesn't bear down on the contact as we go to halt needs to be forward to the halt with the contact staying 'true' . So I need to pay more attention to detail (my words not Tom's!)

Explained to Tom that I thought I'd lost the feel of the TOF exercise, so Tom showed us how from the ground I need to think of the TOF more as a giravolte.

Added in a new exercise half a walk pirouette with counter flexion, need to ride the shoulders round (have tendency when doing it from right rein to left to ride the 1/4s too much and get Chorrie stuck) start by riding a volte then counter bend and pirouette, important to then leg yield to track to reinforce.

Exercise 1 So halt rein back walk then half a walk pirouette with counter flexion leg yield to track halt rein back walk then half a walk pirouette with counter flexion leg yield to track

Do (1) then if he feels good down the rein transition to trot; need to get the TOF feel on the circle and remember to swing.

Then moved on to doing (1) in trot, again more insistence from me required, yes Alexis it is more difficult for your brain but keep going :-D

Summary Pleased Tom could see I have been doing my homework, however more pleased I could analyse and feel where we have improved, also pleased to build on where we left off and progress not be repeating the previous lesson.

Good stuff really like the way Chorrie feels when I get it right










No comments:

Post a Comment